<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 11, 2003

Well, I just lost my post, so here goes again.

The breakfast-at-home before leaving the house is still working out. Today was mild with a good deal of rain and a wind so strong that I kept my umbrella furled. Naturally I got wet. Of course, I would have chosen to go to the flower district after Temple to get some fresh greens for my altar. They didn't have what I was looking for, everything is dedicated to the Christmas holidays, it's all wreaths and Christmas trees and holly.

Not quite. There was mimosa, and peonies, which I always think are only available in season, and all sorts of beautiful summer flowers, snapdragons, roses, renunculus, oh how I dawdled, keeping my sticky fingers in my pockets, all they wanted to do was pull out some money and buy something extravagant.

I am still not quite accustomed to Mozilla. It will take a while. But I managed to find the translation into English of the speech President Jacaues Chirac made tot he United Nations Conference "Against Terrorism - For Humanity" which ws held in New York on September 22, 2003. Here is a part I particularly liked:

Terrorism ". . . reveals the evils of our time. It is a feverish expression of suffering, frustration or injustice. When democracy is absent, it usurps the banner of freedom. When social issues become acute, terrorism assumes the mask of justice and solidarity. When a country is under foreing occupation, it unjustly captures the struggle for freedom for its own ends. When a community feels ill-treated, terrorism claims to act in its name.

So we need to take a clear-headed, hard look at today's world.

Terrorism takes as its pretext the frustrations born of unresolved conflicts. I am thinking especially of the Middle East conflict which has been the source of suffering, anger and incomprehension among all of the peoples in the region for fifty years now. Onlya a just and lasting peace can put an end to it." [emphasis added]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?